Tuesday 16 October 2012

The WAR and the ROSES!


Pursuing a dream is not easy.  In many ways it like fighting a war, you know it’s going to be a fight, you know you will come up against enemies (whether in the form of people or circumstances), you know there is a possibility of there being casualties along the way but ultimately you know you want to win.  
I know this first hand because I do my best to live my dreams in all areas of my life.

 
It sounds good, it feels good (in the beginning anyway) but once you get into the swing of things you will inevitably encounter many challenges and seemingly insurmountable obstacles.  Home schooling is no exception.  The good thing is I was never fooled into thinking it would be easy so I’m not discouraged J

Last week I engaged in emotional warfare.  The boys have been great, very excited and really engaged but the challenge has been ME. I desperately needed to get some personal stuff done but somehow could not muster up the motivation, the laundry pile in the bathroom was looking more like a second hand charity shop in the process of sorting the  countless donations that had recently come in and  I longed  for the constant calling of my name to cease.!! (I told the boys  that I changed my name and unless they could  guess what my new name was  they are not allowed to call me, that made things worse because they just spent the next half an hour trying to guess which was almost driving me craaaazy).  I did prepare myself for these times (in theory) but what I failed to do was put it into practice.  I had not taken ‘time out’ that I promised myself and with the intense weekend that we had (my husband hosted a monthly personal development boot camp) by Tuesday I was ready to scream really, really loudly!!
 
 

That’s when Len popped out the road to get some milk and came back with a beautiful bunch of roses.  He continually ensures me that he appreciates what I am doing and this was just a reminder  that I was doing a great job J It was as if someone slowly took the top of a pressure cooker. Ahhhhhhhh (EXHALE SLOWLY)!!  The boys soon followed his lead by letting me know how much they loved me and how glad they were that I took the time out to home school them.  By the end of the week they presented me with a handmade card, painted a love heart and did a video clip of Alex singing ‘Just the way you are’.



 

So, fighting wars are not so bad after all.  Especially if you have the sweet smell of victory as an incentive.  I’m sure you are fighting your own wars in many different ways, my encouragement to you is don’t give up, your dreams are always worth fighting for.

Have a great week ahead.
 
Karen. xx

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Karen. I read your article in The Voice after it was posted by the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) in the US. And now I'm going to start following your blog! :^)

    Looking forward to reading it - and feel free to stop by over at "my place" (http://tinahollenbeck.blogspot.com) if you'd like.

    Blessings on you and your family as you continue on this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K, I am finally reading your blogg.
    I am loving the Eagles thats amazing.
    Once again you are doing what you love and inspiring people to live their dream no matter what that maybe.
    Home schooling is not for everyone you need routine,patience of a saint and the ability to connect and engage the child, all of which you have.
    I am all for parents/carers exploring
    different avenues to educate their child/ren.
    Karen I am interested how you will be dealing with their social life,teaching them resilience and team work?
    Whilst they do have each other they
    need to form relationships with others and experience the challenges and pitfalls of being around their peers.
    I am excited for you all and look forward to reading more. Before you know it you will have a school called Eagles and be teaching other children!

    ReplyDelete